Monday, December 2, 2013

Haute Hijab Inspired Box

Hello Debdoozlers! Happy December and happy project! Seriously, I love todays project. I think out of all the things I've done this project is my favorite. It's simple, really, a wooden box painted in polkadots. The inspiration came from a beautiful scarf designed and sold by Haute Hijab. Before I even thought about a DIY project featuring this signature look, I just wanted the scarf, but living in Dubai causes a lot of shipping issues. You see, we don't really have zip codes out here, shoot, we don't even  have mail boxes! Unless you have a private P.O. box, you'll end up facing companies who cannot ship to your front door, because your front door doesn't have a proper address. While most people can figure out where your home is because you're in between Choithrums and a cell tower, most companies need a real physical address. 

So after thinking about where I could get this scarf shipped to in the US and then have it later shipped to me in the UAE, It was SOLD OUT! ARRRRRRG! Someway, somehow I still had to have it though. 
I got to thinking and a lightbulb in the form of a wooden box popped up! How about I just paint a box I already have in the pattern of the Grace Kelly Wrap? Sounds like a great idea to me. Off I went collecting my supplies which were: 
A wooden box
Sanding block (medium grade)
Tack cloth or towel to wipe off dust
Painters tape (to tape off hinges)
Primer
Base color plus another color for the dots
Paintbrush for dots
Sealant spray to protect the final coat
Krylon Caramel Latte Brushed Metal in Satan (I could eat that color it's that yummy)
Apple Barrel Antique White.

I taped off the hinges. They were in perfect shape and I didn't want to ruin them with spray paint. 


I gave the entire box a light sand all around.
Wiped off all the dust and gave a single coat of primer
 After a single coat of the Caramel Latter the front corner started to bubble. I wiped with a baby wipe, let it dry, lightly sanded and gave another coat. It turned out perfect.
Smooth coverage all around.
Then It was time for the dots. I measured the first row to use as a guide and eyeballed the rest. 
I dipped the back of my paint brush in the Antique White and dabbed it onto the box. It gave me nice dots.

Almost done...
...and Finished!
Though the dots were a variation of sizes the rows were pretty straight and looked good.

Side view. 


 Not bad for painting a couple hundred dots. :o) 
I love it. Hopefully this will hold me over until the scarf is back in stock. :o) 

It looks so classy! I never thought I would love polkadots that much. The Caramel Latte is the perfect hint of metallic too. I couldn't have expected better results. Do you think you have the patience to paint that many dots? Where there's a will there's a way! Thanks for stopping by. 

-Debora





1 comment:

  1. It's such an interesting post. Anyhow, i've visited Hijabi Fashions it's so stunning..the designs, look & the style of wearing hijab.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...